Voip Card Setup
Here we see how to configure special hardware card in Linux and Windows environment.
As we saw, Quicknet Phonejack is a sound card with VoIP accelerating capability. It supports:
- G.711 normal and mu/A-law, G.728-9, G.723.1 (TrueSpeech) and LPC10.
- Phone connector (to allow calling directly from your phone) or
- Mic & speaker jacks.
Quicknet PhoneJack is a ISA (or PCI) card to install into your Pc box. It can work without an IRQ.
Under Windows you have to install:
- Card driver
- Internet Switchboard application (working only with Internet, using newer Quicknet cards)
all downloadable from Quicknet web site
After Switchboard has been installed, you need to register to Quicknet to obtain full capability of your card.
When you pick up the phone Internet Switchboard wakes up and waits for your calling number (directly entered from your phone), you can:
- enter an asterisk, then type an IP number (with asterisks in place of dot) with a # in the end
- type directly a PSTN phone number (with international prefix) to call a classic phone user. In this case you need a registration to a gateway manager to which pay for time.
- enter directly a quick dial number (up to 2 digits) you have previously stored which make a call (IP or PSTN).
Internet Swichboard is h323 compatible, so if you can use, for example, Microsoft Netmeeting at the other end to talk.
Warning!! Internet Switchboard NEED to be connected to Internet when used with newer Quicknet cards
Under Linux you have to install:
- Card driver, from Quicknet web site. After downloaded you have to compile it (you must have a /usr/src/linux soft or hard link to your Linux source directory): type make for instructions.
- Application openphone or ohphone.
- If you are a developer you can use SDK to create your own application (also for Windows).
With Internet Switchboard (and with other application) you can:
- Change compression algorithm preferred
- Tune jitter delay
- Adjust volume
- Adjust echo cancellation level.
This card is very similar to the previous, it supports also gateway feature.
We only notice that we have to download PSTNGx application (for Linux and Windows) or we use Internet Switchboard to gateway feature.
- First download software here
- Untar it
- Modify 'src/vpbreglinux.cpp' according to file README
- type 'make'
- type 'make install'
- cd to src
- type 'insmod vpb.o'
- retrieve (from console of from 'dmesg' output command) major number, say MAJOR
- type 'mknod /dev/vpb0 c MAJOR 0' where MAJOR is the above number
- cd to unittest and type './echo'
Follow README file for more help.
I personally haven't tested VoiceTronix products so please contact VoiceTronix web site for support.